The staff at the Sunshine Pre-School work hard to ensure the safety, health and well-being of the children in their care.
If a child is on prescribed medication the following procedures will be followed:
- All medicines will be stored out of reach of children, in the appropriate conditions i.e. fridge or locked medical cabinet.
- If possible, the child’s parents will administer the medication. If not, then the medication must be clearly labelled with the child’s name, date and dosage, and any other instructions.
- The medication must be prescribed and for the current illness.
- A medication form must be completed by the parent prior to the medication being given and upon collection of the child.
- Children will not be able to attend sessions for the first 48 hours after administration of the prescribed medicine to ensure the child has no allergic reaction.
- A medication form will be available to log –
- The name of the child receiving the medication.
- Time that the medication should be administered.
- Date and time when medication is actually administered.
- The signature of the person that has administered each dose.
- Counter signature from another member of staff witnessing the dosage given.
- Written information will be obtained from parent, (medication consent forms), giving clear instructions about the dosage, administration of the medication and permission for member of staff to follow the instructions.
- Any level 3 member of staff will have the authority to administer the prescribed medication but each dose must be witnessed and countersigned by another member of staff.
- Completed consent forms will be signed by parents and put in the child’s individual file.
- All staff will be first aid trained.
The following people are designated First Aiders within Pre-School:
- Beverley Caterer
- Sue Trigg